Porta Mesagne (Bastione Aragonese)
|NAME||Porta Mesagne (Bastione Aragonese)|
In 1243, Frederick II of Swabia built Porta Mesagne which later would have become the main access to Brindisi.
From here started the Ruga Magistra, a straight road that lead to the harbour.
The Bastion on the side was later erected during the Aragon period and during the Spanish rule.
On the arch, there are some attacks for the rafters that, probably, supported a wooden portal.
On the south-west wall, there are some coats of arms belonging to the Emperor Charles V, the viceroy of Naples, and the artist Loffredo.
In 1930, during the refurbishment works, a smaller portal was opened.